LOOKING FOR A JOB IN THE MINES?
THE MINING INDUSTRY CAN BE TOUGH TO CRACK INTO BUT IT IS VERY REWARDING WHEN YOU GET THERE.
BE OPTIMISTIC, BUT REALISTIC
We appreciate you want to do everything you can to put yourself at the front of the queue for entry level positions. These positions are at the discretion of our clients and are sometimes not advertised externally so it is important to register with an agency such as ACM Recruitment in the first instance.
It is also very important that you only apply for positions that are suitable for your skill level. For example, applications for positions that require experienced operators will not be considered. This is because your safety is our number one priority and we must ensure that anyone we place on a mine site is not exposed to any risk due to inexperience.
MINE SITE REQUIREMENTS
Each state differs slightly in the minimum requirements for mine site employment. In in general terms, the following are the usual minimum requirements. Note that this does not guarantee you will be successful in securing mines site employment.
- Physical fitness for the intended role (as determined by a pre-employment medical)
- Ability to pass a Drug and Alcohol Test
- Mining industry Generic Inductions and/or mine site specific inductions
The real key to obtaining a job in the mines is persistence. Here are some steps to take:
- Register with ACM Recruitment (you can do this before you start applying and a team member will give you some guidance).
- Keep an eye on our website as well as mining company websites for entry level jobs and apply.
- Network. Sometimes it’s not what you know but who you know.
- Stay in touch – keep us informed of your availability and qualifications.
- Continue to develop your skills and qualifications in complementary industries such as construction and infrastructure projects.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Here are a few answers to some of the more regular questions we get asked about joining the mining and resources industry as an entry level operator.
joining the mining and resources industry as an entry level operator.
1. HOW LONG WILL IT TAKE FOR ME TO GET A JOB IN THE MINES?
That depends entirely on you. How bad do you want a job and how much effort are you prepared to put in to getting the job? There is no definite time frame but reward comes to those who are persistent.
2.WHAT IS THE LIFESTYLE LIKE WHEN YOU WORK IN THE MINING INDUSTRY?
- The mining industry offers diverse lifestyle opportunities depending on the role and location. Residential roles will require you to live near the mine in a regional or mining community.
- Accommodation and transport to site is not always included with Entry Level positions however, so you may be required to arrange your own.
- Some roles are also offered on a bus in, bus out basis. Buses will usually travel from the nearest urban centre to and from the mine location. Such roles will usually also supply accommodation and meals in a camp near to the mine.
- For experienced workers, certain mine sites may have an option for Fly-In-Fly-Out (FIFO) work. This is particularly prevalent in WA due to the remote location of most mine sites. A few interstate mine sites do also offer these positions though.
- Shift rosters vary between sites, however they will generally operate on an “even-time” cycle with either a four days on/four days off or seven days on/seven days off basis. Some sites do also have roster cycles that require people to be away for extended periods of 2-3wks before returning home on a break.
- Shifts will rotate throughout a roster cycle between day and night shifts. Each shift is approximately 12 – 13 hours long, with rest/ meal or “crib” breaks included.
3. WHAT IF I HAVE A CRIMINAL RECORD, CAN I STILL GET A JOB IN THE MINES?
It depends. Most minor incidents are no concern, but there is zero tolerance to violence or drugs.
4. I AM OVER 50 AND HAVE NO EXPERIENCE, IS THAT A PROBLEM?
Not at all. Pending your meeting of all medical requirements, mining companies are looking for good reliable people who are punctual, responsible and prepared to work.
5. ARE THERE JOBS FOR WOMEN IN THE MINES?
Yes. We have placed many women into roles in the mines. Our clients are equal opportunity employers.
STILL HAVE MORE QUESTIONS?
Call us on 0427394194 or register online today so we can get you started on a road to a rewarding career in the mines.
Follow our Facebook page
Join our Facebook group